With November upon us, we’re getting closer and closer to snow shovelling season.
Take a look at the tips below to make sure you’re prepared for what’s in store!
- Ensure you’re warming up before starting your task (e.g., flexing and stretching).
- Wear the right clothes by dressing in warm but lightweight layers
- Spread rock salt or kitty litter on slippery ground to give you traction while shovelling.
- Make sure you’re using the right shovel for the job – do you want a push shovel or a smaller blade shovel? Using the right tool helps reduce strain on your body.
- Turn your whole body when throwing snow (don’t just twist at the waist).
- Take your time. Rushing through a job can overexert your muscles and joints, causing injury.
- Know when to stop! If the temperature dips below -40, or even -25 with the windchill, come back to your task when the weather has improved.