Basic Motorcycle Training
Motorcycle training registration will re-open March 2023. Classes fill on a first come first serve basis.
Course Location: Winnipeg, CFB Shilo, Winkler, Dauphin, Thompson
Course Duration: 6-8 hours practical
Course Fee: $375 per person(No rebate for this course.)
The Basic course is the minimum requirement for achieving a Class 6 licence in Manitoba.
New riders will benefit from taking the Gearing Up Motorcycle Course which provides additional riding time and more advanced riding techniques.
Licence documentation and photo ID – Students must hold a 6M motorcycle licence (knowledge test) that can be obtained at any MPI Service Centre. To learn more about licensing, download MPI’s Motorcycle Handbook or contact MPI.
All students must provide their own riding gear, including:
- Motorcycle helmet – CSA, DOT, ECE or Snell approved
- Eye protection – face shield on helmet or any type of glasses
- Sturdy jacket – motorcycle textile/leather riding jacket, denim or leather (jackets must be able to be done up)
- Gloves – Full fingered, leather palmed (no knuckle cut-outs accepted)
- Sturdy pants – motorcycle textile/leather riding pants or jeans (no sweatpants, track pants, etc. Pants must not have holes in them)
- Boots – must cover the ankles and be made of a sturdy leather with rubber soles (no athletic shoes/sneakers, high heels or leather soled cowboy boots)
Your riding gear must be inspected and at the Instructor’s discretion, approved at the first session. Students without proper gear will be sent home with no refund.
Courses run regardless of weather conditions – be prepared and dress accordingly. Rain gear may be worn over protective riding gear.
The Basic course is the minimum requirement for achieving a Class 6 licence in Manitoba and is intended for individuals who have some previous motorcycle riding experience. The course moves at an accelerated pace and verifies existing skills, instills proper basic riding habits and helps identify any bad habits to assist with transitioning into successful street riding.
This course is pass or fail. There is an additional fee to enroll in a Refresher or Retest course.
- Pre-ride safety check
- Proper riding position and balance of the motorcycle
- Cold starting and shut-down
- Clutch control
- Motorcycle dynamics (slow speed balance, control, and steering)
- Gear shifting
- Traffic behaviour simulation