Basic Motorcycle Training
Motorcycle Registration Open Now.
Classes fill on a first come, first served basis. To speed up registration process, we recommend creating an account in advance.
Course Location: Winnipeg, CFB Shilo, Winkler, Dauphin, Thompson
Course Duration: 6-8 hours practical
Course Fee: $375 per person(No rebate for this course.)
The Basic course is the minimum requirement for achieving a Class 6 licence in Manitoba.
New riders will benefit from taking the Gearing Up Motorcycle Course which provides additional riding time and more advanced riding techniques.
Licence documentation and photo ID – Students must hold a 6M motorcycle licence (knowledge test) that can be obtained at any MPI Service Centre. To learn more about licensing, download MPI’s Motorcycle Handbook or contact MPI.
All students must provide their own riding gear, including:
- Motorcycle helmet – CSA, DOT, ECE or Snell approved
- Eye protection – face shield on helmet or any type of glasses
- Sturdy jacket – motorcycle textile/leather riding jacket, denim or leather (jackets must be able to be done up)
- Gloves – Full fingered, leather palmed (no knuckle cut-outs accepted)
- Sturdy pants – motorcycle textile/leather riding pants or jeans (no sweatpants, track pants, etc. Pants must not have holes in them)
- Boots – must cover the ankles and be made of a sturdy leather with rubber soles (no athletic shoes/sneakers, high heels or leather soled cowboy boots)
Your riding gear must be inspected and at the Instructor’s discretion, approved at the first session. Students without proper gear will be sent home with no refund.
Courses run regardless of weather conditions – be prepared and dress accordingly. Rain gear may be worn over protective riding gear.
Please bring your own re-fillable water bottle
***Students who reside outside the Province of Manitoba can only take the GEARING UP MOTORCYCLE TRAINING and do not qualify for the MPI rebate.***
The Basic course is the minimum requirement for achieving a Class 6 licence in Manitoba and is intended for individuals who have some previous motorcycle riding experience.
The Basic course is a one day or two evening course based on a quick review of the preliminary skills necessary to operate the motorcycle. It is similar to an abbreviated version of the material covered in the first half of the Gearing Up Course without the classroom material. It is intended for students with some riding experience and doesn’t spend as much time in the preliminary steps of getting the motorcycle up and running. The course concentrates on ridding existing riders of bad habits prior to their introduction to the road. Students without riding experience will likely find the course moves too quickly though the preliminary steps where they would need additional time.
This course is pass or fail. There is an additional fee to enroll in a Refresher or Retest course.
Click here for more information on retesting opportunities.
- Pre-ride safety check
- Proper riding position and balance of the motorcycle
- Cold starting and shut-down
- Clutch control
- Motorcycle dynamics (slow speed balance, control, and steering)
- Gear shifting
- Traffic behaviour simulation