Motorcycle FAQ

  • Here are some answers to the most frequently asked Motorcycle training questions!

    Is the course still offered if it is raining or cold?

    Yes. Rain or shine, you will learn how to ride a motorcycle!

    Do you provide the motorcycle?

    Yes – for our two-wheeled program. SSM provides a top-of-the line fleet of motorcycles for students to train and practice their skills. For three-wheeled motorcycle training, students must provide their own vehicle. For more information, see the program description.

    What type of motorcylces are provided for training?

    SSM has in use: Yamaha TW200 and Honda Grom.

    Do I need a licence to take this course?

    Yes, you must obtain a Class 6M (training) licence from Manitoba Public Insurance prior to taking the course. The 6M licence requires you to pass a written test.

    Do I need to bring riding gear?

    Yes. All students must provide their own riding gear, including:

    • Sturdy jacket and pants (jeans and a leather or denim jacket)
    • Eye protection
    • Sturdy boots that cover the ankle
    • Leather gloves
    • DOT, Snell, CSA or ECE approved helmet

    Your riding gear must be inspected and approved by the instructor at the first session.

    I’m under 18. Do I need a parent to accompany me?

    Only to the first session. If you are under 18, your parent or guardian must sign a waiver for you to participate in the training course.

    Am I required to take the motorcycle course if I have a licence from another Province?

    If you have a motorcycle licence from another Province, please contact Manitoba Public Insurance at 204-985-7000 for more information.

    Do you offer motorcycle courses in rural Manitoba?

    Yes, SSM offers the motorcycle program in the following locations:

    • Shilo(Brandon area)
    • Dauphin
    • Flin Flon
    • Thompson
    • Winkler