Gearing Up Motorcycle Training
Motorcyle training registration now open. Classes fill on a first come first serve basis.
Course Location: Winnipeg, CFB Shilo, Winkler, Dauphin, Thompson
Course Duration: 16-20 hours – 4 hrs theory & 12-16 hrs practical
Course Fee: $480 per person
MPI provides a $200 rebate on the Gearing Up course when participants complete the entire course (theory, practical, and testing) whether you pass or fail. Safety Services Manitoba issues and mails the rebate to students 4 to 6 weeks after completing the course.
- A 6M motorcycle license(knowledge test) that can be obtained at any MPI Service Centre is required to take any SSM motorcycle course
All students must provide their own riding gear, including:
- Sturdy jacket and pants (jeans and a leather or denim jacket)
- Eye protection (visor on helmet or any type of glasses)
- Sturdy boots that cover the ankle
- Leather gloves
- CSA, DOT, ECE or Snell approved helmet
Your riding gear must be inspected and approved by the instructor at the first session.
The Gearing Up program is Canada’s leading course for training novice riders. It provides instruction for a full range of students: from those who have no experience to those who have experience but wish to expand their skills.
The course features an evening of classroom presentations and discussions as well as additional riding time and more advanced riding techniques that aren’t featured in the basic course. Participants who pass the Gearing Up course’s MOST 2 skills test will also receive a nationally recognized Canada Safety Council Certificate.
This course is pass or fail. There is an additional fee to enroll in a Refresher or Retest course.
- Appropriate riding attire
- Pre-ride safety check
- Proper riding position and balance of the motorcycle
- Cold starting and shut-down
- Clutch control
- Motorcycle dynamics (slow speed balance, control, and steering)
- Gear shifting
- Traffic behaviour simulation
- Push steering
- Emergency braking
- Emergency swerving
- Collision avoidance
- Negotiating curves at speed
- Stopping in curves
What our students are saying
- “The knowledge, experience and ability my instructors had was amazing!!”
- “Great experience, lots of knowledge, great people.”
- “I recommend that all novice riders take the 20-hour course.”
- “I can’t believe how much I’ve progressed.”
- “The teamwork and delivery of the course was world class.”
- “I teach for a living; I know how hard it is to do. I’ve become a better driver (car, too) and a better teacher.”